Saturday, February 11, 2012

Legacy

This week the world celebrated the 200th birthday of Charles Dickens. Charles Dickens was born February 7th, 1812 and died June 9th, 1870, 142 years and we're still celebrating the life of this incredible man.

The events and articles commemorating this man's work had me thinking of what it takes to leave behind such a legacy.

The journey of becoming a teacher all began with a dream and desire to make a difference in a child's life, to aid in their success and the betterment of their being. But is this a legacy?

Many conversations of the first week of Teachers College focused around memorable teachers and the role models we had that influenced our decision to become teachers. To us, those role models left an impression of legacy in our lives. They had enough of an influence to shape my life and get me to the place I am today and possibly heading to.

In my International Education class we had a guest speaker talk to us about idealistic visions and holding onto your dreams. This involved creating and leaving behind your own legacy. However, creating your own legacy sounds like a lot of pressure. How do make such an impact? What actually defines a legacy?

Ideally, everyone secretly would love to be famous, and if it was because you had a huge impact on the world like Oprah or Nelson Mandela would be incredible. But is it actually realistic to dream that big?

I live life through an idealistic perspective. I carry dreams with me that are ultimate goals. I have a vision of making a difference. I have a dream of helping people. I have an optimistic view and a heart full of hope and inspiration.

 I believe that anyone who wants to make a difference can, on any scale whether it be large or small. If you wish to make one person smile a day or help a whole population of those in need, the choice is yours. The choice in legacy is yours. The definition of legacy is yours. You make your own legacy. You create your own definition of legacy.

So what is a legacy? Whatever you want it to be. Go out there and make a difference for someone, or many!

No comments:

Post a Comment