Sunday, April 8, 2012

Idealism

This past week of placement, hanging out before school with some of the teachers we were having a discussion about being that teacher - that role model, that teacher that can change the world. All of these teachers have been working for at least ten years and say they once had that dream, when they were in teachers college, but in reality it's just not happening.
I sat there and took in their words, listening carefully as they discussed one of my favourite movies Freedom Writers, and Saving Silverman, and movies where the teacher is a hero, where the teacher influences the children's lives immensely.
I walk around with that vision of being that teacher, my entire life has been based around being that teacher, i imagine my life as that teacher. Through my teacher I want to change the world, I want to help those children who need it most, I want to reach out to those children who feel lost, and make those who do not like school find some sort of interest in learning. I want to give everyone a chance to succeed.
I have been told before that my visions are too idealistic. The same thought always come to mind, John Lennon's "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
In my International Education class we had a guest speaker present his experiences in teaching in Aboriginal schools, and now in a Montessori school. He discussed the realities and politics that come along with teaching, but also the passions of the teachers that make learning excited. He said to always hold on to your idealistic vision, your teaching dream. Pursue that dream. There will be hard days and there will be amazing days, but carry your vision with you.
Taylor Mali's video, What Teachers Make is one of my favourite videos. For me, talking from an idealist perspective, in snaps back the realists vision into the bigger picture of the difference they're making.
The teachers began their conversation because of some disappointment in a couple of the students attending that school. The disappointment was not a product of a lack of effort from the teachers, but more of a defeated sensation. They were frustrated and lost on how to reach these particular students. Taylor Mali's speech presents the small things that teachers do that lead up to the bigger picture, the idealistic vision.
Watch the video of What Teachers Makes. This version is a production the beautiful words.




Without people dreaming, we would achieve so little. Hang onto your visions, don't let anyone or anything stop you. Pursue your dreams. Wish it. Dream it. Do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment